Saturday, March 24, 2007

Quote of the Day - 3/24

Back in the beginning of 2005 after I came out of my depression I read a book that made a HUGE impact on my life. It's called Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen. During the next week or so I am going to post small excerpts or quotes from the book that made an impact on me. Here is the first one:

"One of the most important keys to living your best life now, as well as moving forward into the great future God has for you, is learning how to overcome the disappointments in life. Because disappointments can pose such formidable obstacles to letting go of the past, you need to be sure you have dealt with this area before taking the next step to living at your full potential.

Let's be honest; all of us face disappointments from time to time. No matter how much faith you have or how good of a person you are, sooner or later, something or somebody will shake your faith to its foundations. It may be something simple, such as not getting that promotion you really hoped for; not closing the big sale that you worked on so hard; not qualifying for a loan to buy that house that you really wanted. Or, it may be something more serious - a marriage relationship falling apart, the death of a loved one, or an incurable illness. Whatever it is, that disappointment possesses the potential to derail you and wreck your faith. That's why it is vital that you recognize in advance that disappointments will come, and that you learn how to stay on track and deal with them when they do.

Often, defeating disappointments and letting go of the past are the flip sides of the same coin, especially when you are disappointed in yourself. When you do something wrong, don't hold on to it and bear yourself up about it. Admit it, seek forgiveness, and move on. Be quick to let go of your mistakes and failures, hurts, pains and sins."

Excerpts from Your Best Life Now

4 comments:

Lady G~ said...

I'm not a big fan of his, but that's a great quote.

I truly believe that it all boils down to choice. Choosing not do dwell on the negative or the bad, makes all the difference in the world.

People always ask me how come I'm always saying life is good. Well, because I really believe it. How can it not be if your a child of God!

Emily said...

You are so right Giselle! My online friend De'Etta has a saying - Choosing Joy! It's all a matter of choice !!!!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Emily,

I plan to go back and collect all your writings on friendships, put them into a word document, and take my time reading them. I missed the daily posts as we were out camping and such. These posts are timely. I seem to be in the middle of watching what I thought would be a life-long friendship die or dwindle to polite acquaintance stage...and it is VERY disappointing...both in her and in I - as I'm fairly sure I did something to bring this about, though I can't figure out what and she isn't sharing the secret. LOL Anyway - I've been praying it through, choosing joy and not bitterness...and I think your comments are going to be very healing for me....

Thanks.

Emily said...

De'Etta ,
Sorry to hear about your relationship that is starting to dwindle. Hopefully she will be honest about what is wrong and then you all can go forward from there. I sometimes think women friendships are much harder than marriage . . .