Thursday, March 01, 2007

Tortilla Soup

Once or so a month I work as a tester for new products that are going to be coming out in the future. This morning I had an appointment to test the fragrances of some new body washes. It only takes about 15 minutes and you walk out with $10.00 cash . . . nice extra spending money :-)

I then head to the church to meet Lisa so we could clean our two buildings. She ended up getting a head start while I was at my appointment so I finished up so she could leave to pickup Kaitlyn and preschool.

Afterwards, I headed to the grocery that was near the church to pickup a rotisserie chicken. I was bummed when they were sold out so I headed home. Once I got home Lisa called and said she was running to Super Wal-mart . . I ended up hitching a ride with her. Thankfully, Super Wal-mart had chicken fresh out of the oven. We then headed home and I got busy making Tortilla Soup. Here is the recipe:


Tortilla Soup

14 - 16 ounces of chicken broth
1 can of refried beans
1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
1 cup of cooked cubed chicken
1 cup of corn
1 cup of salsa
1/2 cup water

Put in a pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Removed from heat and then add 1 cups of shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted.

In a soup bowl place some crumbled tortilla chips.


Then pour the soup into the bowl over the chips. Also, I love Tostitos Natural Organic Corn Chips. They are yummy!

Then put some more shredded cheddar cheese into the bowl and serve!

We had fresh fruit too . . .strawberries, banana's and apples and O'Henry Bars for dessert!

8 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Emily,

This soup recipe looks so good and quicker than the recipe I have too...I never has masa harina.....but I always MEAN to buy some. LOL

I keep planning to put some beans in the crockpot so I can make bean dishes...I must do that "soon".

Emily said...

I actually got this recipe from my sister Stephanie. I love it because it tastes great but also because it is fast and easy . . .it actually tastes like you spend all day making it :-)

Romany said...

Emily, I just made it! I didn't have any black beans. They are quite tricky to get hold of here, so when I find them, I boil them all up and freeze in bags. But didn't have any today so I used borlotti beans.

The black beans and the yellow of the corn would have looked very appealing. But the borlotti beans tasted good.

Thanks. This is about the 3rd or 4th recipe of yours we've used now!
Dorothy

Emily said...

Dorothy - I love tweaking recipes to accomodate what I have in my pantry or kitchen. Sometimes, that is what makes cooking fun! Glad you are enjoying some of the recipes!

Kristine said...

Ooh, I just added this to my menu. It looks great!

Emily said...

Let me know how you like it Kristine!!!

Kristine said...

I made this tonight and we really enjoyed it!!!

Emily said...

Glad you all liked it!